By Katalin É. Kiss
Comprising 11 stories on languages with targeted structural subject and concentration positions, this quantity comprises an advent surveying the empirical and theoretical difficulties focused on the outline of this language sort. concentrating on languages outdoors the conventional Indo-European staff, the essays examine Chadic, Somali, Basque, Catalan, previous Romance, Greek, Hungarian, Finnish, Korean, and Quechua. The papers offer attention-grabbing new empirical facts, in addition to a number of capacity and choices of representing them structurally. whilst, they handle very important theoretical questions within the framework of generative thought. this can be the 1st examine to use tools of comparative syntax to the learn of subject and concentration.
Read Online or Download Discourse Configurational Languages PDF
Best grammar books
During this fun-filled ebook, playful puns and comical comic strip cats mix to teach, now not inform, readers what prepositions are all approximately. each one preposition within the textual content, like lower than, over, by way of the clover, approximately, all through, and subsequent to Rover, is highlighted in colour for simple identity. this is often the latest addition to the phrases Are CATagorical(tm) sequence, which has bought over 450,000 copies.
English Language and its utilization has develop into super emotive matters in recent times. routine discussions within the media have highlighted a transforming into call for for a go back to the examine of language after many years of overlook. This ebook is an introductory descriptive survey, meant for college students, lecturers and basic readers which bargains insurance of grammatical themes with sections on spelling, punctuation and routines.
- A grammar of the Turkish language
- Locality: A Theory and Some of Its Empirical Consequences (Linguistic Inquiry Monographs)
- Formal Approaches to Function in Grammar: In honor of Eloise Jelinek (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- Fundamentals of English Grammar Workbook, Second Edition
Additional info for Discourse Configurational Languages
I t typi cally occupie s a n invarian t A-bar position ; bu t thi s i s no t necessaril y s o (cf . Tangale, Ngizim). Th e exact locatio n of the landing site o f Focus Movemen t i s subject to parametric variation: i t can be [Spec, VP], [Spec, IP], [Spec, FP], [Spec , CP], a VP-adjoined position , a n FP-adjoined position , or even a n A-bar position under V . 24 Discourse Configurational Languages A focu s operato r move d int o VP-externa l positio n c-command s it s scope ; a focus operato r occupyin g an A-bar positio n unde r V, o n th e othe r hand , obvi ously does not c-command it ; it needs further LF-movement .
1. , English) , and designated Focu s language s (see Brod y (1990)). (11) A t (S-structur e and) LF the SPE C o f an FP mus t contai n a [+FOCUS ] phrase. Based o n whethe r the abov e claus e o f th e Focus-Criterio n mus t b e satisfie d already at S-structure , or onl y at the leve l of LF we wil l get designate d Focu s languages, or in-situ Focus languages, respectively. Under this theory of the syntax of Focu s then , a s note d i n predictio n (a ) above , th e S-structur e positio n o f a (moved) Focu s phras e i n designate d Focu s language s wil l necessaril y b e th e position i t occupie s a t LF ; namely , a t bot h level s i t wil l b e i n th e [SPEC,FP ] position.
E. Kiss , K. (1987 ) Configurationality in Hungarian, Reidel , Dordrecht . 26 Discourse Configurational Languages E. T. J. Huang and R. , Logical Structure and Linguistic Structure, Kluwer , Dordrecht. E. Kiss , K . (1991b ) "A n Argumen t for Movement, " i n H . Haide r an d K . Netter , eds. , Representation and Derivation in the Theory of Grammar, Kluwer , Dordrecht . E. Kiss , K . (1993 ) "Genericity , Predication , an d Focus," unpublishe d manuscript , Linguistic Institut e of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences , Budapest .