By Richard Davey
In Coastal Dhofari Arabic: A comic strip Grammar, Richard Davey presents a close description of a hitherto missed Arabic dialect present in southern Oman. formerly recorded by way of Rhodokanakis, as a part of the sudarabische excursion of the Austrian Imperial Academy, the dialect provided the following bargains a selected account of the daily language spoken by way of the old sedentary, coastal neighborhood. utilizing information accumulated in the course of 2010-2012, Richard Davey can provide an summary of the phonology, morphology and syntax of this type. as well as this, a lexicon of coastal Dhofari Arabic is equipped, in addition to a dialogue of its grammaticalized good points. it's a well timed account of a dialect that's endangered because of improvement, modernization, and the ensuing social adjustments in Dhofar."
Read or Download Coastal Dhofari Arabic: a sketch grammar PDF
Best grammar books
During this fun-filled e-book, playful puns and comical sketch cats mix to teach, now not inform, readers what prepositions are all approximately. each one preposition within the textual content, like less than, over, by way of the clover, approximately, all through, and subsequent to Rover, is highlighted in colour for simple id. this is often the most recent addition to the phrases Are CATagorical(tm) sequence, which has bought over 450,000 copies.
English Language and its utilization has turn into super emotive matters lately. ordinary discussions within the media have highlighted a growing to be call for for a go back to the learn of language after a long time of forget. This ebook is an introductory descriptive survey, meant for college students, lecturers and normal readers which deals assurance of grammatical themes with sections on spelling, punctuation and routines.
- Causation in Grammatical Structures (Oxford Studies in Theoretical Linguistics)
- Warriner's Handbook: Introductory Course (Holt Traditions)
- Word Order and Scrambling (Explaining Linguistics)
- The Minimalist Syntax of Defective Domains: Gerunds and infinitives (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- An Introduction to the Grammar of English: Syntactic arguments and socio-historical background
- Embedded V-To-C in Child Grammar: The Acquisition of Verb Placement in Swiss German (Studies in Theoretical Psycholinguistics)
Extra resources for Coastal Dhofari Arabic: a sketch grammar
Although the credibility of Rhodokanakis’ work is clear, closer examination of his informants for this data, and whether they accurately represented a widely-spoken dialect within the vague geographical boundaries of Dhofar, casts his study in a new light. The circumstances which led up to the publication of Rhodokanakis’ work were both fortuitous and problematic. H. Müller, an eminent Austrian semiticist, Rhodokanakis’ research was heavily connected to the success of Müller’s research expeditions to south-western Arabia and East Africa towards the end of the 19th century, carried out along with the famous orientalist, Carlo Landberg, and other eminent academics of the time.
1) is rare. The second group of non-native Arabic speakers in Dhofar are the migrant communities of Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, and Filipino workers who constitute a large proportion of the urban community in Dhofar. All the Arabicspeaking groups mentioned so far interact with these communities in Arabic, and in many ways their knowledge of and ability in Arabic seems fixed within certain economic and service situations. Away from this sphere, they converse in their own native languages, although again mixed group situations were not observed, in which there is the potential for Arabic to be used as a lingua franca.
In an ideal scenario, a full assessment of the region as a whole would have been carried out, but as is usually the case for most fieldwork-based research, time and financial limitations determined the scope of the present study. It demanded careful pre-planning, and the flexibility to adapt to the local environment and availability of suitable informants. One important factor that assisted in this respect was being able to identify a candidate coastal dialect for documentation before fieldwork was carried out, through contacts living in the UK at that time.