By Bernard Lightman
The Wiley Blackwell better half to the historical past of Science is a unmarried quantity significant other that discusses the heritage of technological know-how because it is completed this day, offering a survey of the debates and matters that dominate present scholarly dialogue, with contributions from top overseas scholars.
- Provides a single-volume evaluate of present scholarship within the heritage of technology edited via one of many major figures within the field
- Features 40 essays via prime overseas students delivering an outline of the foremost debates and advancements within the historical past of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper historic contextualization in the field
- Helps converse and combine views from the heritage of technological know-how with different components of historic inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western issues that are built-in in the course of the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in keeping with key analytic different types that mirror new techniques within the field
Read or Download A companion to the history of science PDF
Best methodology & statistics books
Agrobacterium Protocols deals starting and skilled researchers the main entire number of step by step protocols for the genetic manipulation of vegetation utilizing Agrobacterium. the themes diversity from the upkeep of bacterial tradition collections to elements of the metabolism and body structure of reworked tissues and transgenic crops.
In social anthropology, as in different branches of technological know-how, there's a shut courting among learn tools and theoretical difficulties. Advancing thought and shifts in orientation move hand in hand with the improvement of innovations and collectively impact each other. If the advance of recent social anthropology owes a lot to its tested culture of fieldwork, it's also transparent that the approaches that anthropological fieldwork should still stick to within the laboratory can by no means be prescribed in absolute phrases nor develop into entirely standardized.
In Seeing issues, Robert Hudson assesses a typical method of arguing approximately commentary studies known as "robustness reasoning. " Robustness reasoning claims that an statement record is prone to be precise if the file is produced by means of a number of, self sufficient assets. Seeing issues argues that robustness reasoning lacks the designated worth it's always claimed to have.
Making experience of issue research: using issue research for tool improvement in health and wellbeing Care examine provides an easy clarification of the advanced statistical techniques fascinated with issue research. Authors Marjorie A. Pett, Nancy M. Lackey, and John J. Sullivan offer a step by step method of examining facts utilizing statistical machine applications like SPSS and SAS.
- Social Research: Theory, Methods and Techniques
- Access to Research Data in the 21st Century: An Ongoing Dialogue Among Interested Parties: Report of a Workshop (The compass series)
- Data Analysis in Population and Community Ecology
- Materials Science Research Horizons
- Computer-Assisted Interviewing (Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences)
Extra info for A companion to the history of science
Moving Knowledge Around: Communication and Circulation A long-accepted tenet of the social constructionist history of science is that scientific knowledge begins locally. If this is the case, then how does it spread? Over the last three decades historians have pursued this fundamental question in many directions, and the analysis of the ways in which people, ideas, and artifacts travel and communicate to move science around has yielded an especially rich set of intellectual tools. The communicative practices within and surrounding science are central to its spread, and writing is the practice historians have studied longest and most deeply.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Kuklick, Henrika, and Robert E. ) 1996. ” Osiris, 2nd series, 11: 1–265. Landecker, Hannah. 2007. Culturing Life: How Cells Became Technologies. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. Latour, Bruno, and Steve Woolgar. 1979. Laboratory Life: The Social Construction of Scientific Facts. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. Latour, Bruno. 1987. Science in Action: How to Follow Scientists and Engineers through Society. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Among these fields, however, we also find some disciplines that were proab al-jabr wa’l-muq¯ abala), timekeeping duced within Islamic societies, as algebra (h. is¯ (ʿilm al-m¯ıq¯ at), and cosmography or structural astronomy (ʿilm al-hayʾa). Even scholars who are best known to us as mathematicians or physicians, however, were often known in their own times as masters and scholars of the religious sciences (Rosenthal 1975, 54–70; Brentjes 2008; Brentjes 2014, 95). Potentially more deceptive, however, are those fields that the Greeks designated by words that are the source of terms that we still use to name modern disciplines.